Friday, 10 June 2016

The Amnesty International accuses Nigerian Army of killing 17 unarmed Biafra protesters last month

International Human Rights group, Amnesty International, has accused the Nigerian Army of killing at least 17 unarmed members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) during a clash with the group in Anambra state on May 30th.


A statement by Amnesty which was released today June 10th, says investigations carried out by its officials who met with eyewitnesses and also visited morgues and hospitals, indicates that soldiers opened fire on members of IPOB and their supporters in Onitsha, Anambra State during the build up to a march by the group to celebrate Biafra Armed Forces Remembrance day.

Amnesty in its report added that the attack on the unarmed pro-biafrans took place when the military raided homes and a church where IPOB members slept.

The Nigerian Army, however, in a statement released on June 1st, accused the pro-Biafra members of first attacking its officers with weapons such as firearms and dynamites and that the officers shot at the group members in self defence.

The Nigerian military in its statement claimed five members of IPOB were killed, eight wounded while nine were arrested. Amnesty however says this is untrue as its investigation showed that at least 17 people were killed and nearly 50 injured, adding that “the real number is likely to be higher”. "Information gathered by Amnesty International indicates that the deaths of supporters and members of IPOB was the consequence of excessive, and unnecessary use of force," Amnesty said

0 comments:

Post a Comment